Automobile accidents are the leading cause of death for Americans under the age of 35. According to statistics released by the United States Department of Transportation, there were approximately 6.3 million auto accidents in the United States in 2004, with these accidents causing approximately 2.9 million injuries and 43, 000 deaths. According to the Washington State Department of Transportation, in 2009, Washington’s traffic fatality rate decreased to 0.87 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, the lowest fatality rate in state history. Between 1980 and 2009, the U.S. fatality rate declined by 65%, Washington State’s overall fatality rate declined by 75%, and the state highway fatality rate declined by 78%. Despite the trend, driving an automobile in the State of Washington increases your chances of being in an accident.
No driver or passenger expects to become involved in an auto accident, but chances are at least once in your lifetime you will be involved in a motor vehicle accident. If you were injured in a car accident, you have a right to claim full and fair damages from the responsible party. Contact a Seattle auto accident attorney at Wattel & York, Attorneys At Law, at 877-572-4143 for a free legal consultation. Our attorneys have been helping auto accident victims in the Seattle and Tacoma area for many years.
If you are involved in an automobile accident, you need to move quickly to protect your legal rights. Following is a list of steps that should be done if at all possible when an automobile accident occurs:
- Contact the police and ask that a police report be filed in situations where law enforcement officers do arrive at the scene.
- If you are capable, at the scene of the auto accident, collect important information, such as contact and insurance information. Take photos of the damage to all motor vehicles involved in the accident as well as the scene of the accident. Obtain names and telephone numbers of the witnesses to the car accident.
- Obtain prompt medical attention for any injured parties, including yourself. Note any doctors or other medical professionals that you receive treatment from. Keeping track of this information will help you itemize your medical expenses and treatment for your insurer, your attorney, and the court.
- Obtain a valuation for damages to your car.
- Contact a Seattle car accident attorney before giving any statements to insurance companies’ representatives about the auto accident. If representatives from other insurance companies should call you, be polite, but ask them to call your attorney. Information given to the insurance companies may be unfavorable to your case. Contact a motor vehicle accident attorney at Wattel & York, Attorneys At Law today. The attorneys at Wattel & York will investigate your auto accident case to preserve evidence before it is lost or altered. The attorneys will conduct all communication with the insurance companies on your behalf and find all potential sources for compensation for your losses.
Determining who is at fault in a car accident is a matter of deciding who was negligent. The attorneys at Wattel & York, Attorneys At Law, will investigate your case to determine who was at fault for your accident. Some factors that determine a driver negligent may include:
- Disobeying traffic signs or signals
- Failing to signal while turning
- Driving above or below the posted speed limit
- Disregarding weather or traffic conditions
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Reckless driving including; speeding, improper lane changing, or improper passing
At Wattel & York, Attorneys At Law, we have extensive experience in handling accident cases and make it a point to investigate every possible contributing cause of an accident to make sure you receive full compensation. If you or a loved one has been involved in a vehicle collision immediately contact an experienced Seattle car accident attorney. Even if the injuries are not severe it is important to contact a well established and reputable law firm to assist with your car accident case. You take the time you need to recover from the trauma of your injuries while we take over the investigation. Contact us today at 877-572-4143. We are conveniently located in the Seattle and Tacoma areas.