Slip and fall injuries are the second leading cause of injury in the United States. A slip and fall is an injury which occurs when someone slips, trips, or falls as a result of a dangerous or hazardous condition through the negligence of a property or business owner. The law states that the property or business owner must keep the property free from any hazard and in a reasonable and safe condition. Negligence arises when a home or business owner does not exercise proper caution and maintenance and in this case, they may be liable to compensate the injured person for their damages.
Slip, trip, and fall accidents are by far the most common type of premises liability cases in which property owners and businesses have a duty to provide a safe environment for people on their property. Accidents can result in serious injuries such as broken bones, fractured hips, spinal cord injury, head trauma such as brain injury, herniated or bulging discs, shoulder injury, back injury and muscle and ligament injury. The key to winning a premises liability claim is proving negligence. If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall accident contact the Seattle slip and fall attorney at Wattel & York, Attorneys at Law. Our attorneys have years of experience representing victims of slip and fall injuries and can help you receive full compensation for your losses.
Hazardous conditions related to premises liability claims include, but are not limited to:
- Failure to provide proper lighting
- Failure to remove trip hazards like wires, electrical cords and cables
- Failure to provide proper and adequate hand rails as prescribed in building codes.
- Failure to eliminate wet flooring
- Failure to remove obstacles
- Failure to replace deteriorated or worn floor coverings or carpet
- Failure to secure mats and rugs
- Failure to place signs in dangerous areas
- Failure to repair sidewalks or fix potholes in parking lots
- Failure to keep a walkway clear of snow and ice
Structural damages to a building, often due to age or wear and tear, can be a significant cause of injury. Uneven steps, parking lot potholes, cracked sidewalks, broken tiles, or torn carpeting can create dangerous situations for visitors to a building. To prove negligence, you have to prove that the property owner knew or should have known about the problem and failed to repair it. Negligence can also be proven by violation of a statute, such as not having installed handrails, and an injury occurs as a result. Building owners must ensure that the building’s structure is in compliance with applicable building codes.
It is critical you take necessary steps to ensure your case is handled properly from the beginning. These steps include, but are not limited to:
- Report your accident to the establishment or property owner.
- Seek medical attention if needed.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident and the hazard that caused your injury before any repairs were done.
- Obtain names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses that may have seen the accident occur.
- Contact an experienced Seattle slip and fall injury attorney at Wattel & York as soon as possible. The attorneys at Wattel & York understand the complexities of this area of law and can handle your slip and fall case and obtain the compensation you are entitled to.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact Wattel & York, Attorneys at Law, now at 877-572-4143. It is important to act quickly because a lawsuit must be filed before the statute of limitations expires. Call today to speak to one of our experienced Seattle slip and fall attorneys. Our attorneys conveniently serve Seattle, Tacoma, and all of the State of Washington.